SEARCH

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Sub by Email

Twitter Me

INTERVIEWS

Peter Higgins, author of Wolfhound Century

Myke Cole, author of Shadow Ops Series

John Brown John, translator of the Zamonia Novels

Jim C. Hines author of Libriomancer

Nick Harkaway author of Angelmaker (review here)

Martha Wells author of The Cloud Roads

David Tallerman author of Giant Thief

Mazarkis Williams author of The Emperor's Knife

Rob Ziegler author of Seed

Steven Gould author of 7th Sigma

Douglas Hulick author of Among Thieves (review here)

Mark Charan Newton author of Nights of Villjamur (review here)

Kameron Hurley author of God's War (review here)

Brent Weeks author of The Black Prism (review here)

Anthony Huso author of The Last Page (review here)

Brandon Sanderson author of The Way of Kings (review here)

Lou Anders Editor of Pyr Books

Ian Tregillis author of Bitter Seeds (review here)

Sam Sykes author of Tome of the Undergates (review here)

Benjamin Parzybok author of Couch (review here)

Kristine Kathryn Rusch author of Diving Into the Wreck (review here)

Ken Scholes author of Lamentation

Cherie Priest author of Boneshaker (review here)

Lev Grossman author of The Magicians (review here)

Character Interviews

Alexia and Lord Maccon from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Lord Akeldama from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Eva Forge from Tim Akers's The Horns of Ruin

Atticus from Kevin Hearne's Hounded

RECENT REVIEWS

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Year Zero by Rob Reid

Alif: The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson

Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Control Point by Myke Cole

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway
My BlogCatalog BlogRank Wikio - Top Blogs - Literature

Announcing Steampunk Month

Robot created by James Ian Killinger
It is my great pleasure to announce that October is Steampunk Month here on Mad Hatter's Bookshelf and Book Review. Steampunk is a genre that has been growing on me for a number of years. Ever since I was a child the stories of H.G. Wells and Jules Verne have kept me enrapt with not only the story telling, but with the styling as well. There is just something about brass cogs and Mad Scientists that turns me on. The output of titles has only been getting better and more diverse the last couple of years with the likes of Cherie Priest, Gail Carriger, Tim Akers, Jay Lake, S.M. Peters, and Ekaterina Sedia all morphing the genre to their will. Sure Steampunk books have been, somewhat steadily, published for the last two decades, but now it has become a franchise on to itself. The majority of Steampunk is considered Sci-Fi of sorts although more and more is leaning towards Fantasy. Now if only we could get a decent Steampunk movie.


Why a Whole Month?

There are at least 10 books being released between September and November that are considered Steampunk and I want to read most of them so it seemed to fit. I also have a few older novels hanging around that may get worked in. Halloween is also a factor as I like to dress up and dress-up is usually part of Steampunk.  And. Well, it is just plain fun. Rarely does Steampunk take itself overly serious and I'm in a mood to be not entirely serious.


So What's Planned?

Loads and loads of stuff. Good stuff. Trust me.

Oh, you want to know more? How about a list? People seem to like lists.
  • *  Guest posts covering various aspects of Steampunk and its relation to things such as England, Alternative History, and even the Old West.  Here are some of the authors who will be doing posts:
    • -  Mark Hodder, author of The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack
    • -  Lavie Tidhar author of The Bookman
    • -  Clay and Susan Griffith, authors of The Greyfriar: Vampire Earth Book 1 
    • -  Felix Gilman author of The Half Made World and Thunderer
  • *  At least two interviews. One is in the can and the other is in progress. The latter is shaping up to being something quite special. Hopefully I'll manage to conduct one more interview as well.
  • *  Two or three giveaways of Steampunk grab bags from different publishers. Still firming this up a bit, but things are looking very good.
  • *  Reviews of at least 5 Steampunk books this month. I hope to get to more, but some may carry over to November.
  • *  Possibly an interview/guest post about the design and construction of a recent Steampunk cover.
  • *  And more! Well, probably.
P.S. If any fellow bloggers, readers, or publishers have an idea for an essay they'd like to contribute feel free to drop me an e-mail.

You Might Also Like:
So Much Steampunk, So Little Time
REVIEW | Clementine by Cherie Priest
REVIEW | The Clockwork Jungle Book

8 comments:

Jeremy Shane said...

Cool, I was looking to get Spring-heeled Jack. Looking forward to that review.

Ryan said...

Cool, I'll be looking forward to reading those reviews. All books I've had my eyes on.

redhead said...

*dance dance dance*
I'm so excited. . .and I just can't hide it. . . .


yay for Steampunk month! I just got a copy of "The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack" by Mark Hodder and have been hearing more good things about Lavie Tidhar than I can shake a stick at.

yay for steampunk month, and just in time for dress up halloween too!!

Taliesin said...

Great stuff Hatter, looking forward to your reviews in particular. I should add I also love the "new procurements " posts you do, with pictures.

ediFanoB said...

As a fan of steampunk books I look forward to your Steampunk Month.
The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack by Mark Hodder has been my number two in my 2010 halftime report. I read and liked The Bookman by Lavie Tidhar too.
I ordered my copy of Greyfriar by Clay and Susan Griffith in advance.

Your plan is promising...

Martha Eskuchen said...

This sounds great. I want to read more in this genre! I'll have to see if I can get a few to review. :)
Meanwhile I will be back to check your postings! Have a great week.

Mad Hatter Review said...

Thanks for all the kind words. I'll definitely be getting to Spring Heeled Jack.

nakedsushi said...

Nice! I also decided on the last day of September to do a Steampunk month for October too. So far, I've finished Leviathan which was a great start to the month. The rest of the books I have queued up are here:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/2450538-louise?shelf=steampunk-month