SEARCH

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Sub by Email

Twitter Me

INTERVIEWS

Peter Higgins, author of Wolfhound Century

Myke Cole, author of Shadow Ops Series

John Brown John, translator of the Zamonia Novels

Jim C. Hines author of Libriomancer

Nick Harkaway author of Angelmaker (review here)

Martha Wells author of The Cloud Roads

David Tallerman author of Giant Thief

Mazarkis Williams author of The Emperor's Knife

Rob Ziegler author of Seed

Steven Gould author of 7th Sigma

Douglas Hulick author of Among Thieves (review here)

Mark Charan Newton author of Nights of Villjamur (review here)

Kameron Hurley author of God's War (review here)

Brent Weeks author of The Black Prism (review here)

Anthony Huso author of The Last Page (review here)

Brandon Sanderson author of The Way of Kings (review here)

Lou Anders Editor of Pyr Books

Ian Tregillis author of Bitter Seeds (review here)

Sam Sykes author of Tome of the Undergates (review here)

Benjamin Parzybok author of Couch (review here)

Kristine Kathryn Rusch author of Diving Into the Wreck (review here)

Ken Scholes author of Lamentation

Cherie Priest author of Boneshaker (review here)

Lev Grossman author of The Magicians (review here)

Character Interviews

Alexia and Lord Maccon from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Lord Akeldama from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Eva Forge from Tim Akers's The Horns of Ruin

Atticus from Kevin Hearne's Hounded

RECENT REVIEWS

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Year Zero by Rob Reid

Alif: The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson

Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Control Point by Myke Cole

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway
My BlogCatalog BlogRank Wikio - Top Blogs - Literature

New Procurements

Books, I like them. The last two weeks have seen an infusion of Steampunk books as it is that time of year. Unfortunately, I won't be repeating my Steampunk month this year as I'm still preoccupied by projects at work and fixing up my house, but do check out that link if you're new around here as there were loads of great guest articles and a few good reviews. The end is in sight on my home retrofit so hopefully I'll get back to blogging more regularly very, very soon. Now to get on with it starting with my purchases followed by review copies sent me.


The Cold Commands by Richard K. Morgan is one of the more anticipated books in the Fantasy community this year, especially given it was delayed.  Hellbent is Cherie Priest's second book in her Vampire Urban Fantasy series and the first book Bloodshot was quite funny and action packed so I'm defintely back for more.  Bibliotopia by Steven Gibar is a list book of facts regarding books to add to my collection of books about books. Goliath is Westerfeld's final volume in his much loved Steampunk series adorned with beautiful art throughout the book. Last is the most buzzed out debut of the year The Night Circus by Erin Morganstern, which by all accounts lives up to the buzz. I might have to fight over this one with my wife as she's been waiting it as well.


Ganymede is the third full length novel in Cherie Priest's Clockwork Century world that I've been loving and loving so far. Plus this volume takes place in my favorite city New Orleans. Zombies and beignets anyone? Next is the finished copy of Lev AC Rosen's All Men of Genius, which I've been enjoying recently in arc form. Than the last Steampunk release of this batch is George Mann's third Newbury & Hobbes investigation The Immortality Engine. Laddertop is Orson Scott Card's first in a new Sci-Fi manga series, which seems to borrow heavily from Ender's Game, which  means it might actually bode-well for the book.  Thawed Out & Fed Up by Ryan Brown looks like a strange as it stars a cryogenically unfrozen John Wayne.  Planesrunner is Ian McDonald's YA debut and one I'll be diving into quite soon.  The Restoration Game by Ian Macleod   is a video game spy-type story that I definitely plan on reading.  Lastly is Steampunk the YA anthology of original stories edited by Kelly Link and Gavin Grant with stories by Link, Libba Bray, Holly Black, Garth Nix, Cory Doctorow, and many others.  Bray and Nix were enough to get be interested.


Dead Mann Walking by Stefan Petrucha is a story about a man convicted and put to death for the murder of his wife only to be exonerated and brought back as a zombie.  Next we have volumes 1, 3, and 4 in Lois McMaster Bujold's The Sharing Knife series.  I've never tried Bujold's books before so if any of you have chime in and let me know what you think.  Lastly, Black Light is written by two of the writers of the last few Saw movies. I'm not a fan of the franchise, but the story has been called a bloody version of Ghostbusters so I just may have to take a gander when I'm in the mood for some scariness.

Out of all these there are about 10 I wish I had time to read right now, but to narrow it down a bit Ganymede, Planesrunner, and The Night Circus will most definitely be read in the next few weeks.

You Might Also Like:
REVIEW | Clementine by Cherie Priest
GUEST POST | Lev AC Rosen on Shakespeare and All Men of Genius
INTERVIEW | Cherie Priest author of Boneshaker
REVIEW | The Affinity Bridge by George Mann
REVIEW | Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld

3 comments:

Désirée said...

I love Bujold to bits, read everything she produced...but could not stomach the Shearing Knife series. I red the first in ARC version, was sooooo happy to get hold of it...and was sooo disappointed.
To each their own, I'd definitely suggest to start with either Cordelia's Honor or The Curse of Chalion

Kevin B said...

I'm a Bujold fan, but the Shearing Knife isn't her best stuff imo.
So, in case you don't like it, I'd still suggest you try the Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls. They are awesome.

Unknown said...

Currently halfway through Goliath and I can safely say it is Excellent (capital E) can't stop reading but don't want it to end!
Read The Immorality Engine a while ago and was a little disappointed but that could have something to do with the 18 months I had it on order without any way of knowing the actual release date (man that was frustrating!)