SEARCH

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Sub by Email

Twitter Me

INTERVIEWS

Peter Higgins, author of Wolfhound Century

Myke Cole, author of Shadow Ops Series

John Brown John, translator of the Zamonia Novels

Jim C. Hines author of Libriomancer

Nick Harkaway author of Angelmaker (review here)

Martha Wells author of The Cloud Roads

David Tallerman author of Giant Thief

Mazarkis Williams author of The Emperor's Knife

Rob Ziegler author of Seed

Steven Gould author of 7th Sigma

Douglas Hulick author of Among Thieves (review here)

Mark Charan Newton author of Nights of Villjamur (review here)

Kameron Hurley author of God's War (review here)

Brent Weeks author of The Black Prism (review here)

Anthony Huso author of The Last Page (review here)

Brandon Sanderson author of The Way of Kings (review here)

Lou Anders Editor of Pyr Books

Ian Tregillis author of Bitter Seeds (review here)

Sam Sykes author of Tome of the Undergates (review here)

Benjamin Parzybok author of Couch (review here)

Kristine Kathryn Rusch author of Diving Into the Wreck (review here)

Ken Scholes author of Lamentation

Cherie Priest author of Boneshaker (review here)

Lev Grossman author of The Magicians (review here)

Character Interviews

Alexia and Lord Maccon from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Lord Akeldama from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Eva Forge from Tim Akers's The Horns of Ruin

Atticus from Kevin Hearne's Hounded

RECENT REVIEWS

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Year Zero by Rob Reid

Alif: The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson

Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Control Point by Myke Cole

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway
My BlogCatalog BlogRank Wikio - Top Blogs - Literature

New Procurements

The bi-weekly time to shelve the new arrivals has come which means pictures of the latest books. Lots of big names with books are just coming out or are coming out quite soon.


That slim number at the top is an early galley of Brandon Sanderson's novella Legion, which I'll probably read rather sooner than later. Next is Baba Yaga's Daughter and Other Stories of the Old Races by C.E. Murphy who I haven't read before, but it sounds like an interesting small collection. Then we have a review copy of the UK edition of Railsea by China Mieville another I'd like to get to soon. As usual reviews are mixed but generally positive. I've just finished The King's Blood by Daniel Abraham, which was a long-time pre-order for me as he won me over long ago with The Long Price Quartet.

Worldsoul is Liz Williams' take on magical librarians that falls well within the lines I usually enjoy. My old days as a sorter and helper in libraries growing up is sure to be recalled. Cursed is the next Alex Verus novel from Benedict Jacka. I thought the first Fated had potential, but was very derivative of a lot of UF. Still there is something about the character that I'll probably check it out just to see what trouble Verus has gotten himself into this time. Armored is John Joseph Adams' latest original anthology. I've already read the first few stories, but need breaks between as it is a theme that lends itself to some very similar stories.  Alastair Reynolds' Blue Remembered Earth is one I'm on the fence on as I didn't care much for Terminal World, but I realize that was a slight departure for him. Last in this stack is Other Seasons by Neal Barrett, Jr. who I don't recall having read before. I'll probably dip in a bit to see if it is to my liking in the next few months.


Prepare to Die is Paul Tobin's debut novel just coming out from Night Shade, but he has written for many comic books over the years and given this is a superhero novel I have high hopes.  Alexander Outlander: Space Pirate by G.J. Koch is one I may have passed over if it weren't for Justin's great review that sold me hard on it. If you didn't like the movie Ice Pirates you have no soul. Next is another debut for Night Shade Osiris by E.J. Swift about the last future city on Earth.

With The Dirty Streets of Heaven we see Tad Williams stepping into Urban Fantasy for the first time, which is a bit exciting. Then we have James Enge's A Guile of Dragons that I've mentioned beforeWhen Will You Rise: Stories to End the World by Mira Grant are the related short stories to the Newsflesh Trilogy that I've been meaning to read. Something tells me I should read the novels first. Silver by Rhiannon Held is a debut UF, but given I'm a bit tired of werewolves I might pass. Last, but certainly not least is the 2012 edition of the Nebula Awards Showcase. I've already read half the stories over the last year so I should certainly read the other half herein. The cover by the way is a beautiful Michael Whelan piece.

You Might Also like:
INTERVIEW | Amelia Beamer author of The Loving Dead
REVIEW | Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
Covers Unveiled for Two New Superheros Novels
REVIEW | Kraken by China Mieville

2 comments:

Aidan Moher said...

Whaaaaaaat? ARCs for The Dirty Streets of Heaven are already available? I must have one.

Cassandra @ Book & Movie Dimension a Blog said...

Osiris by E.J. Swift looks pretty interesting the last futuristic city on Earth.

Alexander Outlander: Space Pirate by G.J. Koch have seen in the past.
With Justin at Staffer's Musings recommending have a feeling your in for a good reading.

All the procurements sound fantastic. Hope you enjoy.