Happy New Year!!!
I hope you all have a wonderful or peaceful night depending on your tastes. If I may be so bold I'd also like to suggest everyone make a reading resolution of some sort. Whether that be to try an author you've been meaning to, finish a series you started, or finally pick-up that book that has been sitting around on the shelves for 3 or more years. Below are my reading resolutions.
Next year I'm going to attempt to:
- Read more Science Fiction including some of the suggestions from commenters on this post.
- Read more short story collections and anthologies.
- Charles Stross's first two Laundry Files, because they sound so cool.
- The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert V.S. Redick, because the idea of a whole city on a ship intrigues me.
- The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan, because Morgan's Altered Carbon was so damn good.
- The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, because Warbreaker was so good.
- Shadow Falls by Simon R. Green, because it keeps getting mentioned in the Nightside series.
- The Fortress of Solitude by Jonathan Lethem, because I've heard it is brilliant.
- Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon, because I love the synopsis and my wife loved it.
- The City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VandeerMeer, because I've had it forever and Finch sounds fantastic.
Most of my books are still boxed up and will remain that way until late January otherwise this would have been a longer list, but at least it gives me a good place to start. Also, when I move back into my house I'll clean out the bookshelves of books I (probably) won't re-read and of books I (probably) will never read because I've lost interest. And if I'm feel audacious I'll finish the archiving of books I own started last year.