SEARCH

Subscribe

RSS Feed

Sub by Email

Twitter Me

INTERVIEWS

Peter Higgins, author of Wolfhound Century

Myke Cole, author of Shadow Ops Series

John Brown John, translator of the Zamonia Novels

Jim C. Hines author of Libriomancer

Nick Harkaway author of Angelmaker (review here)

Martha Wells author of The Cloud Roads

David Tallerman author of Giant Thief

Mazarkis Williams author of The Emperor's Knife

Rob Ziegler author of Seed

Steven Gould author of 7th Sigma

Douglas Hulick author of Among Thieves (review here)

Mark Charan Newton author of Nights of Villjamur (review here)

Kameron Hurley author of God's War (review here)

Brent Weeks author of The Black Prism (review here)

Anthony Huso author of The Last Page (review here)

Brandon Sanderson author of The Way of Kings (review here)

Lou Anders Editor of Pyr Books

Ian Tregillis author of Bitter Seeds (review here)

Sam Sykes author of Tome of the Undergates (review here)

Benjamin Parzybok author of Couch (review here)

Kristine Kathryn Rusch author of Diving Into the Wreck (review here)

Ken Scholes author of Lamentation

Cherie Priest author of Boneshaker (review here)

Lev Grossman author of The Magicians (review here)

Character Interviews

Alexia and Lord Maccon from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Lord Akeldama from Gail Carriger's Soulless

Eva Forge from Tim Akers's The Horns of Ruin

Atticus from Kevin Hearne's Hounded

RECENT REVIEWS

The Daylight War by Peter V. Brett

A Memory of Light by Robert Jordan & Brandon Sanderson

Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Year Zero by Rob Reid

Alif: The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson

Scourge of the Betrayer by Jeff Salyards

Redshirts by John Scalzi

Control Point by Myke Cole

Angelmaker by Nick Harkaway
My BlogCatalog BlogRank Wikio - Top Blogs - Literature

A Bad Cover Update and New Procurements

I'll willing to admit a mistake when it happens. A short time ago I posted a piece about a very poorly done cover. Not able to hold myself back I ordered a used copy because I'm the curious type. In this case one part because of the bad cover and one part because van Vogt was a big name back in the day, but I've never read any of his work. Well after holding it in my hands it was poorly done, but my little conversation wasn't quite right it turns out. The cover in question isn't just grey, but done in complete silver metallic. I'm not sure this photo does it justice. But just imagine the shimmer. Also, Scott Lynch recently talked about van Vogt and the piece is worth a look.


Anyway here are the other books that have shown up on my stoop the last couple of weeks. Quite a few I've been wanting and others I hadn't even heard of before.


I've already gone over A.E van Vogt's Mission to the Stars so let's move right along to Kage Baker's Nell Gwynne’s At Land and On Sea, which is a posthumous novella finished by the late author's sister Kathleen Bartholomew also a sequel to The Women of Nell Gwynne’s. A Fantasy Medley 2 contains stories by Seanan McGuire, Jasper Kent, Tanya Huff, and Amanda Downum. I'm most interested in the McGuire story as it takes place in world of October Daye albeit hundreds of years from the present time. Jack Glass is Adam Roberts latest novel, but the first I've ever bought of his. The cover simply grabbed me on this one and still hasn't let go. Joe Hill fans join in rejoicing me about the release of the 5th volume of Locke & Key, which is perhaps the best graphic novel series currently going. The Troupe is Robert Jackson Bennett's latest novel and one I'll be getting to soon.

And because I'm losing steam I'll just mention a couple others. The Constantine Affliction by T. Aaron Payton is the latest Steampunk-y offering from Night Shade Books, which involved a disease that changes the sex of the person infection, if it doesn't kill them. The name is a pseudonym of an author who has written a couple books that will be revealing themselves soon.   I've been a fan of Kelly Link's work for a long time, so receiving a galley of her Stranger Things Happen collection coming from Sub Press gave me a smile. I also want to check out Sub Press's humongous Best of collection from Robert Silverberg I didn't even know was in the works. I really need to get into Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, but this latest seems to be a spin off series so I'm not sure if it is a good place to start.

You Might Also Like:
GUEST POST | What Does It Mean to Be Compelling? by Robert Jackson Bennett
Steampunk is...
REVIEW | In the Garden of Iden (The Company) by Kage Baker

0 comments: